Pages

Saturday, December 8, 2012

Japan earthquake yesterday and snowy day today

It's so colddd today !! It's snowing so heavily in Sapporo since morning. Luckily the wind doesn't seem strong.. well, at least it wasn't strong when I went out for a while during lunch time.

By the way, there was a big earthquake in Japan yesterday. The news is all over the world by now, I guess coz I received a lot of messages asking about the condition here. Don't worry ! Everything is fine here, just a bit shaky :) Thank you for asking, guys ! According to the report of Japan Meteorological Agency (JMA), the magnitude was 7.3. Tsunami warning was launched, but it was cancelled 2 hours after observations.

If you ask me how the feeling during an earthquake is, well, since Hokkaido is a relatively safer place in Japan against earthquake, I have never experienced the real destructive earthquake movement around me, thanks God. However, I have experienced many shaky moments during my stay in Japan, and the most common sensation was that I felt like standing on top of thin flexible paper, and suddenly the floor didn't seem sturdy anymore. It's quite scary to feel the floor shaking flexibly actually, but in fact we should feel safer because that's part of anti-seismic building design technology.

In regards to the earthquake happened yesterday, I myself was in UNIQLO store at Tanukikoji checking for some stuffs for winter. When it happened, I heard the racks were shaking against each other and I could hear the sound of plastic bumping against each other with constant rhythm coming from those heat tech items wrapped in plastic. I started to look around to check if it was just my imaginations, and among some people around me who seemed not to notice anything (yet), I saw this girl who also did the same thing as I did haha ! We looked at each other for few seconds before we realized that it's real, then took our phones, and began texting. hehe. It's important to be sensitive for this kind of things, c'mon !!

Actually after the Great Japan Earthquake in 2011, I find myself to be more aware towards earthquake movements. I tend to be able to detect even the slight ones. In some cases, other people didn't even feel it. Well, i take it as a blessing... it's definitely a useful survival skill ! don't you agree with me ? ^^

I just hope the earthquake that happened yesterday wasn't the beginning of another series of big earthquakes like what happened before. I really hope that there will be no disaster happen in the near future. It is even harder to deal with it during this cold weather (and snowy, in some areas).

Btw it was the first time for me to go out wearing wool coat during heavy snow ! I had to use umbrella to prevent the snow from sticking all over my coat and winter hat, coz they are not waterproof, of course. I usually prefer to wear down jacket during winter (and autumn or early spring, as well) because they are generally waterproof (well, not really waterproof like ski suit, but it works for snow and light rain) and able to block wind better. Wool coats tend to have no hood although I have seen few having it. However, it's quite warm and gave different feeling, though. Not fluffy and big... and the most important is ... I felt slimmer. =P haha!

Today I ended up staying at home alone doing laundry, changing bed sheet, eating, browsing internet, and... playing with bebi donut, my super cute winter white sapphire hamster ^_^

Here are some pics of her  =P :

more food ?
my food bowl, my heaven ^^ 

Will post another special entry for her next time !

No comments:

Post a Comment