Pages

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Expensive groceries in Japan

I was asked to draw something for the magazine of Hokkaido University English Engineering Education Program (e3) 2 weeks ago, and I just managed to finish it this week hehe.The topic is about expensive daily stuffs in Japan, mainly related to food and groceries. The drawing below is what I just submitted to the editor. ^^


5000 yen is about USD 50. For a single rock melon! I have seen rock melon sold for around 8000 yen each as well! Crazy... Peach is also another fruit that is sold for like at least 400 yen per piece. My friend even posted a picture of peach sold for more than 1000 yen per piece... o.O That's why I didn't eat so much fruits here, I guess... ___ ___ !

When I was finishing this drawing, he sent me the draft of the article related to my drawing. I found out that the article coincidentally mentioned about banana being cheap in Japan, and rock melon sold for 10000 yen a couple. In fact I didn't know the content of the article before, but my drawing and the article are somehow related! ^_^

Besides banana, bean sprouts (moyashi in japanese) are also good option if you are looking for cheap vegetables here. In fact, I think it is the cheapest among all! What else are cheap... hm let me see.. tofu is not expensive compared to other stuffs. And then... natto (Japanese fermented beans) ? ^_^ If you can eat it, natto is actually a very cheap and healthy food very rich in protein, and it is said to promote naturally beautiful skin! ^^ I didn't like natto when I tried it for the first time, but after the second and third attempts, I like it so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment